A program of the CAP LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE sponsored by Nixon Peabody LLP.
Leadership development is at the core of LatinoJustice PRLDEF’s mission. Mentoring and networking both significantly determine an individual's opportunities for success in school and employment. Therefore, mentoring is fundamental to the nurturance of today’s youth who will become tomorrow’s leaders.
This program matches high school upperclassmen, undergraduate students and post-grad prospective law applicants with attorney mentors, and simultaneously provides informative group events designed to build knowledge about the legal profession.
Mentorship and Educational Counseling
- Themed mentorship program where young lawyers are matched with high school and college mentees.
- Mentees receive the latest info on college and law school admissions, and access to higher education professionals.
- Parents receive support and updated information through specialized workshops.
The mentoring program has two key components:
- Group-themed programs, where mentees learn about different legal fields and legal issues, as well as interact with their mentors in person
- Individual meetings for our college-aged mentees
Mentee Eligibility Requirements - Mentee Application Deadline: June 22nd
- 11th Grade to Undergraduate students
- 3.0 or greater GPA (B or better)
- Strong record of school attendance and extracurricular activities
- Teacher/educator recommendation
- NYC students; nearby NJ students
- Interest in a law career
- Active, involved parent/guardian
- Application and parental consent form must be submitted to include:
- An essay describing their academic and/or career goals (see the application for details)
- Resume (if available)—including activities, volunteerism, and employment
We are no longer accepting new mentee applications for the 2020-2021
- Must participate in mentor training session
- Commitment to participate in group activities with mentees
- Commitment to provide at least one hour of in-person mentoring per month
- Commitment to attend annual training and biannual mentor/mentee roundtable
- Commitment to attend annual training and monthly mentor check-in calls
- Must submit resume (and agree to a background check)
Have Questions? Please direct all inquiries to [email protected].